Am I Related to Famous People?
by Nathan W. Murphy, MA, AG®
If you have an Ancestral File Number (AFN), answering this question is a breeze. Ancestral File, created by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is a lineage-linked database containing over 36 million names. It includes the European royal family, scientists, war heroes, and government and religious leaders. Digital Roots at Brigham Young University has created a free online search engine for Ancestral File called Relationship Finder v2, which calculates your relationship to famous people. To use this tool, follow these simple steps:
1. Open Relationship Finder v2
2. Create a user account.
3. Create a group page.
4. Click “Add a Person.” Leave this website open.
5. At FamilySearch.org, find a close relative in Ancestral File (only deceased persons are listed).
6. Copy the AFN listed for that individual.
7. Paste the AFN in the Relationship Finder page and click “Finished.”
8. Click “Run a Report,” then adjust the number of generations and categories you wish to search and then press “Request this Report” and voilà!