The Lathrop surname has permeated the society of the Americas in both Canada & the United States through the many leaders that are related to Reverend John Lathrop. Price & Associates can help you discover how your family links to this man of colonial prominence.
There are many well-known surnames in today’s society Bush, Grant, Dewey, Romney, Smith, Woodruff all surnames of prominent political or religious leaders. What most people don’t realize is that there is one thing all of these families have in common: they are all scions of Reverend John Lathrop. It’s possible that you’re descended from him as well. Price & Associates Genealogical Services has a team of professional family history researchers that can help you discover your ancestry, as well as if youÃre related to John Lathrop.
The History Behind the Lathrop Surname
John grew up in England. Upon graduating from Queens College, Cambridge he became the curate for the Egerton, Kent parish of the Church of England. Later on he became disenchanted with the church and became a minister over an independent sect. All religions besides the Church of England were illegal in this time period, so his religious practices resulted in him being incarcerated. He chose to leave his homeland & move to the American colonies in place of remaining in jail. His wife, Hannah House, had passed away while he was in prison, leaving him a single father of their 7 children. Six of those children, as well as 32 members of his congregation, chose to sail to the Americas with Reverend John Lathrop. In the Americas, he took a second wife around 1634 or 1635, and together they had many more children.
His progeny grew to include prominent leaders of the free world:
- George Herbert Walker Bush US President
- Sir Robert Laird Borden Prime Minister of Canada
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt 32nd US President
- Harold B. Lee 11th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Ulysses Simpson Grant 18th US President
- George W. Romney Governor of Michigan
- Willard Mitt Romney current Governor of Massachusetts
- Joseph Smith 19th century American religious leader
- Eli Whitney Inventor of Cotton Gin
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Poet
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Supreme Court Justice
- Thomas E. Dewey Governor of New York
- John Foster Dulles US Secretary of State
- Wilford Woodruff leader of the Church of Jesus Christ at the end of the 19th century
It is estimated that 95% of the people in North America named Lathrop or Lothrop are descended from Reverend John Lathrop. Approximately 70% of his descendants spell the surname Lathrop, the other 30% Lothrop. Reverend John himself spelled it Lothropp.
How Price & Associates Can Help You
You’re probably wondering whether or not you are related to Reverend John Lathrop, or if you have any famous people who you’re related to. Our staff here at Price & Associates is a team of expert genealogical researchers that has been helping people to uncover their ancestry for over 30 years. To get started contact us via email or call 801-531-0920 local, 1-800-288-0920.